A college student lamented that her seatmate a notoriously happy go-lucky lad always outdid her in their accounting exams. She said no matter how prepared she was for an exam; the guy just outscored her each time. Was he smarter than her?
Their IQs were said to be just about equal. The discrepancy could be attributed to the difference in their learning skills. His methods of studying had most probably been better than hers.
The ability to learn can be enhanced, contrary to popular belief that it is a fixed capacity. Check out the following ways to improve your learning ability:
- Set the time and place for studying. Make the environment conducive to learning. These will make you absorb better what you are about to study.
- Let people know you don’t want to be disturbed. Tell the household that if someone visits or calls you, let them wait for awhile until after you finished studying. It would be better if you will turn your cellphone off or post a “do not disturb” sign outside your door.
- Think of the benefits you will derive from learning a particular thing. Rewards are one of the best motivators to achieve your dreams.
- When you don’t completely understand a certain part of what you’re reading, it’s not bad to go back and reread it.
- Read slowly. Haste makes waste. Carefully digest the ideas and points in your reading materials.
- Criticize, analyze, form your own opinion about the information you have gathered.
- Use mnemonics. Mnemonics are memory enhancing techniques. In college, our management class came up the mnemonics “POS D CORB” which stands for planning, organizing, staffing, directing, controlling
- Create aids like diagrams, tables and outlines. Take note on vital points.
- Stop every now and then to ask yourself how you have been doing so far. It is important to keep track of your progress.
- Stick with the learning style you are most comfortable with.
Most importantly, enjoy your study habits and make most out of learning. Always be guided by your goal in life to motivate you to do your best at all times.